Wednesday, April 25, 2007

OSMOSA - opening night for an open source museum...

Here I am at the grand opening of the brand new Open Source Museum of Open Source Art - OSMOSA.
This snapshot was taken right when me and my personal bodyguard met the curator, Deborah Maertens...


To check out the official photos from the OSMOSA opening, click here.

Hey performance art and open source fans!

Phew! The deadly combo of mixing RL (Real Life) with SL (Second Life) has totally worn me out!

I started this blog late last night/early morning and the blogging and other networking/socializing never seem to stop!

I think Deborah Maertens' new museum has a lot of potential to become the sort of next-generation museum that my RL buddy Douglas Davis envisioned in his book Museum of the Third Kind. Roy Ascott also wrote a bit about the potential of such a museum. For this Second Life version, it looks like the concept was developed by the founder of Rhizome, Mark Tribe.

Well, I had a good time meeting a bunch of people at the opening and I am in discussions with my colleagues in Second Front a nd the museum to alter the architecture of the building in a performative and realtime way.

Check out the other snapshots from this event...

...here is a close-up of that same moment when I first met Deborah. And yes, I needed at least one close-up to show off the gleaming bling of my Chanel shades. ;-)

The chat-trialogue in this pic is referencing the fact that when we first arrived to meet Deborah, the space was totally laggy and therefore, just about everyone and everything looked totally gray. At the point this snap was taken, the immediate view around us had finally rezzed. However, there were frequent world-crashes and the continuous re-grayfication of OSMOSA...

...I think from this pic, you can see what I mean...some people look like their usual selves but other people were beginning to look rather gray... Maybe their avatar bodies and SL identities are gradually turning into open-source templates for re-mediation? ;-) Bryan Dix (the reporter from the SL-Newspaper) was there but he was so un-rezzed, he appeared to be invisible or at least obscured by some sort of cloaking device! My friend LillyEliska Kralamoc (who has done some PR services for me in the past)was looking even more gray than the B&W Goth gal she usually is! Sugar Seville had better luck for a little while since in the beginning, she only had grayness on her shirt but later on, she lost all of her hair (baldness not pictured here)... On the more colourful side of virtual life, I met a Dutch in-world photographer named Daedalus Young. You will read more about him in a sec...

My good friend Chi5 Shenzhou arrived to check out this opening. She brought along her GF, Jew Hoorenbeek. The guy with the green hair is an artist from Rome, Italy. His SL name is DannyDarko Raymaker but I do not know who he is in RL. He gave me a link to check out but I have since lost it in my IM history...sigh! I added him as a new friend so maybe I will be blogging about his life soon :-)

This is basically just another "action" shot from the opening. In the chat-history, you will notice that my good friend Lior Humphreys was also at this opening. I will tell you about Deborah's open source painting on the wall in a sec...

First of all, I wanted to show you yet another "action" shot from the museum's main lobby. Now you can see what Lior looks like :-) You will also notice that LillyEliska has finally rezzed her fashionable gothic ensemble... In the chat-history, they are all discussing the open-source Beuys oak developed by the Pei twins...

So in no time flat, I managed to convince Daedalus Young to take a group photo of everyone nearby in front of Deborah's open-source Olympia. To check out Young's hi-rez photo, click here.

Here was what the group photo looked like from behind-the-scenes. Other people in this group photo included: Kenny Hubble (who drove around the museum in his motorcycle after this pic), JinSaeDavis Jun (OSMOSA's other curator) and the performance artist, Koco Furse. I mention Koco's cage performance in more detail in my collaborative blog with my adopted foster daughter, Fwwixli Swindlehurst. Interestingly, there was a critic nearby named Lanne Wise from Milwaulkee...I am actually on the hunt for critics to collaborate with for some future projects...maybe I can track her down again and contact her... I hope so!

The group photo session took a little awhile and that was because I kept on trying to invite additional people for the group-pose. I managed to teleport my Second Front co-performer Man Michinaga for the pic... yaaaay!

For this pic, Daedalus instructed some of us to hover in the air while the rest of us (me included) would line-up underneath. I am not sure if he has published this additional group photo yet...

Wow! Sugar is wearing some awesome purple shoes! They are much easier to notice when she is hovering in the air ;-) As you can see, I took a few pix of this group-pose.

On the subject of Sugar and her snazzy shoes, this happens to be my fave snapshot that I took of the event...I guess the close-ups allow me and my friends to display to the world our complete self-absorption and pan-narcissism, eh? Heheheheheh... I am also quite fond of this pic because it showcases my lovely and coveted Scarlett Johansson/RBK earring.

Ok, here is an aerial view showing you that there were other floors to show in addition to the main lobby where I spent most of my time. I did eventually explore the other floors with my foster daughter. If you wish to read more about my jaunt with Fwwixli at OSMOSA, click here...

4 comments:

Theory Shaw said...

Similar to this experiment ‘RL Architects in SL’ is conducting a Wikitecture experiment in Second Life to determine just how feasible a collaborative approach in design might be for the architectural profession. You do not have to have any experience in Architecture or building to participate. We actually believe the more diverse the pool of contributors, the better. Whether you contribute to the design of the building or offer suggestions on how to improve the process of open-design, we welcome any contributions you may have; no matter how big or small. The program and protocol for the experiment can be found here: http://studiowikitecture.wordpress.com/
Location of evolving design in SL: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Architecture%20Island/91/157/33

Jeremy O. Turner said...

Hey Theory,
Thanks for signing a comment on my blog :-) I am very interested in your Wikitecture project..in fact, maybe I can do a realtime architectural performance using your building as the medium?
Please contact me in-world and maybe we can meet to talk about it.
Cheerz,
Wirxli

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the top Endpoint Security program for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central network security
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

yanmaneee said...

kd shoes
cheap jordans
kevin durant shoes
golden goose sale
balenciaga trainers
golden goose mid star
supreme shirt
longchamp bags
moncler outlet
supreme hoodie