Friday, June 29, 2007

Juria Yoshikawa's 4...


Hey ambient installation fans,

I quickly managed to squeeze my lanky avatar into Juria Yoshikawa's collaborative installation at the White Cube Gallery called "4" just hours (or maybe days) before it officially closed down for the next artist in line.

I was very immersed in that space... I could have faffed my precious time away there for hours, it was so refreshing and calming!

It was super ambient and I was allowed to both dive and float around this multi-floored condo space. It is too bad this installation has to disappear..I hope someone will be able to re-install it somewhere else so I can continue to bathe in its quadragenic atmosphere :-)

Because I am lazy, I am just going to parrot for you here what seems to be her official press release:

Installation art by Juria Yoshikawa.
Original soundscapes by composers Miulew Takahe, Bingo Onomatopoeia, Auxillary Snook and AldoManutio Abruzzo.

At White Cube Gallery
June 3rd to July 4th

Week 1: 6/3-9 Miulew Takahe
Week 2: 6/10-16 Bingo Onomatopoeia
Week 3: 6/17-23 Auxillary Snook
Week 4: 6/24-7/4 AldoManutio Abruzzo

4 weeks, 4 installations and 4 composers. "4" is Yoshikawa's latest installation work and collaboration with composers Miulew Takahe, Bingo Onomatopoeia, Auxillary Snook and AldoManutio Abruzzo.

Given a month in a 15x15 meter cube shaped art space, she chose to use a single number as the beat to create to. The idea is simple, to install a new artwork and create a new composition in the gallery each week. The minimalist number concept then extends to the 4 SL musicians - one each week.

Each composer is given a single number 1, 2, 3 or 4 to create a soundscape based on their musical interpretation of that number. Yoshikawa will use each of the 4 weeks to extend her ongoing exploration of light in immersive spaces. Yet this time, she will take on the challenge of using the art space itself as the raw material of the sculpture.

As with light, sound, motion and time - the art space is material for the creator. Can a simple number inspire? Please join the artists at 4 to find out.


Here are some more photos I took of my brief appearance there earlier "today" (it was actually night, in my time zone)...

Here I am diving straight into the floor...lol! Am I going through the rabbit hole to visit Alice in Wonderland? I hope the building is insured

After awhile, I chose to be a floater instead of a diver...phew! Now I can keep my head above light ;-)

I almost decapitated myself while stuck in this floating pose...Is my torso really connected?

Ok, now I am really floating...yaaaay! I can now have a closer look at White Cube Gallery's neighborhood.

I invited my friend Catherine Omega to join in the fun. Since she was about to go to bed in RL anyway, I figured this installation would help put her to sleep...heheheh!
Catherine and I are thinking of performing here with our friend Pravin DeSantis.

1 comment:

Keto Recipes said...

Hi great rreading your post